Dress must comply with the health and safety codes of the State of North Carolinaand the Onslow County Board of Education Dress Code Policy 4303. The student dress code below applies to all students during the school day. A student’s appearance must not disrupt the teaching-learning process.
The following attire is considered unacceptable and is prohibited for WOHS students.
· Sunglasses, hats, scarves, bandannas, headbands, and other headdress while inside the building. “See It/Take It” procedures will be followed.
· Clothing which is obscene, sexually suggestive, revealing, advertises tobacco products, alcoholic beverages, drugs or other illegal items, violent behavior, or contains inappropriate language.
· SAGGING IS PROHIBITED. BELTS ARE REQUIRED
· Shorts, skirts, and dresses that do not go to the top of the knee.
· Clothing which is representative of gang affiliation. This includes rags, bandannas, or handkerchiefs hanging from a pocket, scarves or bandannas tied around legs/arms/necks, one pant leg up, baseball caps tilted one-way, gang lettering/language, gang numbers, gang symbols, and/or colors that are associated with gang affiliation.
· Any symbols, styles, flags, or attire frequently associated with intimidation, bullying, violence and/or violent groups.
· Offensive, obscene, or vulgar writing or pictures on any item being worn or any item being carried by the student. This includes book bags.
· No muscle shirts, tank, spaghetti straps, or cut out t-shirts are allowed without an additional sweater or sleeved topped to accompany the top.
· Shirts, t-shirts, and blouses that do not overlap at the top of the shorts, pants, and/or skirt when the student is standing.
· Undergarments being worn as outer-garments.
· Bedroom shoes/house slippers. (Doctor’s note required if student must wear a bedroom shoe or house slipper.) and pajamas.
· Clothing unbuttoned or cut to reveal the chest, the midriff, or a part of the body that is expected to be covered.
· “See-through” clothing.
· Shorts, dresses, or skirts with a slit or slits whose length does not fall to the knee when standing .
· Biking shorts, leggings, yoga pants or other tight fitting clothing unless the student’s shirt/top falls to the knee student is standing.
· Any adornment such as chains, bracelets, spikes, that reasonably could be perceived as, or used as a weapon. “See It/Take It” procedures will be followed.
The dress code is to be followed at all school events (i.e. dances, games, concerts, etc.) and field trips. Final decisions regarding whether a student’s dress is inappropriate rests with the administration.
Failure to comply with the dress code will result in the following consequences:
· 1st Offense contact parent; and make arrangements to bring appropriate clothing changes; confiscate unauthorized "accessories" for pick-up at the end of the day.
· 2nd Offense: 1 Day ISS and confiscate for parent pick up.
· 3 Or More: 2 Days ISS, Repeated offenses or refusal to comply with the dress code may result in OSS.
Administrative discretion will be used when reviewing all dress code as needed